- Master Plan Survey Results
- Wind Energy
Under New Hampshire statutes, Canaan's Planning Board has the following powers and responsibilities:
- Developing and up-dating the Town's Master Plan
- Assisting in developing a Capital Improvements Plan
- Adopting and administering sub-division regulations and driveway requirements
- Regulation of excavation activities
- Authorizing building on Class VI town roads (town roads not maintained by the town but available for passage by right of way)
The Master Plan identifies the resources and needs of the community and recommends a plan for its growth and meeting its needs. It does not restrict growth by regulation. Typically this is done through zoning ordinances. Canaan does not have a town wide zoning ordinance.
- There are regulations which restrict and manage land within the Canaan Historic District. More information can be learned on the Historic District Commission Page
- Sub-divisions of property, including the construction of two homes on one lot, are regulated by the Sub-Division Regulations and apply town wide. Forms and checklists can be found on the next tab.
- Excavation activity is regulated by the Planning Board. The Canaan Excavation Regulations and Permit are available here and an Explanation of Regulations is available here.
- Other regulations regarding sites and building can be found on the Building Inspector Page and general information on Canaan Permits can be found on the Land & Construction Permits Guide
Furthermore, there are federal floodway regulations that restrict or limit activity in floodways, and there are state laws which regulate shoreline and wetland activities:
Floodway and Floodplain Regulations
- Floodplain and Floodway Maps
- Canaan Floodplain Regulations
- NH Floodplain Management Program
- Contact Building Inspector at 523-4501x4 for information on floodway restrictions.
State of New Hampshire Bureaus & Regulations
In March 2013 a survey was conducted in preparation for revision of the Canaan Master Plan. The survey collected many varied facts and opinions, and those are summarized in this document.
There were many comment opportunities in the survey. A summary of these comments appears below followed by several links to raw data:
Forms may be filled out electronically if the Form PDF is opened and saved to your own computer. In some browsers you may need to roll your mouse along the bottom of the PDF to view the Save Menu.
Forms may be returned to the Town Office at 1169 US Route 4, PO Box 38, Canaan NH 03741
- Town Driveway Permit
- State Driveway Permit: Routes 4, 118 & Canaan Street
- Major Subdivision Checklist
- Minor Subdivision Checklist
- Merger of Lots
- Request for Conceptual Consultation
- Form C: Application for Approval of Final Subdivision Plat
- Application for Waiver of Subdivision Plan Review Requirement
- Rules of Procedure & Application
Wind Energy Systems Subcommittee of Canaan Planning Board
Location: Select Board Conference Room
Agenda: Committee work on proposed ordinance
Statement of Purpose:
The Wind Energy Systems Subcommittee of the Canaan Planning Board was created to develop an ordinance to regulate site review, construction, operation, and decommissioning of any large wind energy system proposed within the Town of Canaan, for which the State of New Hampshire does not assume jurisdiction. The purpose of the ordinance is to protect the Town and its residents from unreasonable impacts on our environment, economy, property values, and quality of life. The current situation allows corporations to construct large wind energy turbines (aka windmills) anywhere in Canaan without any regulatory controls if the State “Site Evaluation Committee” (SEC) chooses not to take jurisdiction of a project. The proposed ordinance will be presented at a public hearing before being included as a Warrant Article for voter approval at the 2018 Town Meeting.
Meetings: Every first Thursday of the month at 4:00 PM
- February 2, 2017
- March 2, 2017
- April 6, 2017
- May 4, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- July 6, 2017
- August 3, 2017
- September 7, 2017
- October 5, 2017
- November 2, 2017
- December 7, 2017