- Farmers' Market
- Activities Report
A call for volunteers!
Contact Joanna Carr, 523-7910 for more information or to volunteer.
Friends of Canaan Village, Inc. seeks members to serve on the Canaan Farmers' Market Committee. This is a one-season (2015) commitment.
The Market Committee (2 FOCV members, 1 or 2 vendors, 1 community member) will:
- act as the liaison between the Market & Friends
- serve as a sounding board for the Manager
- collaborate with the Manager to meet Market needs (e.g., funding, recruiting volunteers, assessment and recommendations in planning for the short & long term)
- provide conflict resolution/mediation for issues not resolved by the Manager
- assess Manager's work and negotiate Manager's contract for future years
(The committee will agree to a monthly meeting time to use as needed.)
Some Market Background:
The Farmers' Market, one of our longest running projects, begins its 13th year when it opens on May 31, 2015. During the past 3 years, under Peg Emslie's able direction, the Market has gained many new vendors along with an Electronic Benefits Program (EBT). Market shoppers have enjoyed the weekly musical entertainment organized by Barbara Baker. Together, these two volunteers have made major contributions to Sunday mornings in downtown Canaan!
With Peg's retirement from the Manager's position, we entered a time of transition, bringing with it a need to plan. The Market Committee design came about as a way to support the Market and the Manager.
FOCV is happy to announce that Lori Gowing has been hired to manage the 2015 Market. Lori has been a Market Vendor for several years and was Manager of the 2014 EBT Program. Welcome, Lori!
Bench Restoration Project!
Friends of Canaan Village and the Canaan Farmers' Market have restored the benches on the Town Common, and added Friends of Canaan Village Plaques. They not only look much better, but are more comfortable and safer. Special thanks to Gary Wood, Reg Barney, and Aaron Allen for their good work. Come sit awhile.
The 2nd Annual "So You Think You Know Canaan" Quiz Winners
The Winners of the 2014 "So You Think You Know Canaan" quiz are
- First Place: Stella Butterfield
- Second Place: Nelson Therriault, Maxine Therriault, Donna Allen
- Third Place: Linda and Skip Pendleton
The answers to the quiz can be found here.
Friends of Canaan Village has received $500 from the Mascoma Savings Bank to help fund the new edition of the Business and Services Directory. We plan to have the Directory available by the summer. Folks will be able to pick up a copy at the Mascoma Savings Bank, the Town Library, the Town Offices, and Canaan Hardware Store.
If you would like to add your business to the listing or update your current listing, please send your business name and phone number (state type of business if not obvious from business name) to Joanna Carr at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-523-7910. Businesses are included free of charge.
Friends Receive Brundage Grant
Friends of Canaan Village is the recipient of a $1000 grant from the Brundage Foundation. This amount is intended to be the Friends' contribution to the 2014 Lions Club Concerts on the Common.
These weekly summertime concerts generally begin the first Tuesday after the Fourth of July. Friends provide ice cream sundaes. The concerts are free, open to everyone, and bring joy to all ages.
Hope to see you next summer at the Concerts. Check the town website in late spring for the 2014 schedule.
Many thanks to the Brundage Foundation for supporting this community event.
2013 David O. Cushman Memorial Golf Tournament
2014 David O. Cushman Memorial Golf Tournament
The Farmers' Market runs from mid-May to mid-October each year and meets on the Village Green on Sundays from 10-1
EBT/Debit Cards Accepted!
Thank You to everyone who helped make the 2014 season a success! Thank you for shopping at the market!
Shop the Farmers' Market; Reap the Benefits
Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, baked goods, locally produced crafts, and more are for sale every week at the Canaan Farmers' Market every Sunday through Columbus Day weekend.
Rain or shine, all season long, Canaan Farmers' Market members bring their bounty so you can enjoy fresh, local foods and crafts and get to know the community members who produce them. You'll taste – and feel – the difference.
Come by to see what's in season, plan your supper around the best of the market, connect with the producers you buy from, and reap the health, environmental, social, and economic benefits of eating and shopping locally.
Make the Market a Part of Your Every Weekend!
Martin Decato - Musician on July 13
Fun at the Market: June 15, 2014
Friends of Canaan Village, Inc.
"Friends in Deeds"
As its name implies, Friends of Canaan Village, Inc. is dedicated to supporting Canaan's Village center, also known as the Downtown.
MissionTo create a safe, vital, attractive, and welcoming village center through civic projects and activities and, thereby, to benefit the entire community.
MembershipMembership is open to all Canaan residents, and to non-residents as well, who support its mission.
Members are not required to attend meetings. Any level of involvement is very welcome, starting with simply paying dues ( whatever amount a member wishes to give). We are hoping to expand our membership. If you are interested in joining Friends, come to a meeting and learn more.
Ongoing Activities, Projects, and Support of Civic Enterprises
- Farmers' Market
- Canaan Business and Services Directory
- Old Home Days Participation
- Financial Support:
- Lions' Club Summer Bandstand "Concerts in the Park"
- Ice Cream Sales at the weekly summer concerts
Downtown Safety and Beautification
- Downtown Revitalization Project maintenance
- Spring Plantings
- Maintenance of Depot Park
- Holiday Lights and Decorations
- David O. Cushman Winter Golf Tournament
- Cooperation with other town committees and groups
- Assist with Conservation Committee's Spring Roadside Clean-up
2013 ANNUAL REPORT
New Accomplishments Since the 2012 Annual Meeting
Items with an * were in collaboration with one or more civic groups
- Mission Statement re-wording. It now reads: The mission of the Friends of Canaan Village is "to create a safe, vital, attractive, and welcoming village center through civic projects and activities and, thereby, to benefit the entire community."
- Letterhead Logo adopted
- Revival of Winter Golf (David O. Cushman Winter Golf Tournament)*
- Support of Christmas in Canaan*
- Welcome Packets for new residents
- Repair of Park Bench
- Repair of Gazebo latticework
- "So You Think You Know Canaan" Quiz
- Sponsor of Canaan Clean Cans Campaign*
- Contributor to Recreation Committee Silent Auction for Swim Lessons*
- Farmers' Market Raffle Basket
- Sponsorship of Canaan Farmers' Market
- Periodic printing of the Business and Services Directory
- Mowing and maintenance of Depot Park
- Lions Club Concerts on the Common: financial support and ice cream sales*
- Pass the Book winter reading series at the Town Library*
- Holiday Lights, Decorations, and Flags
- Downtown flowers and tree tending
- Old Home Days sponsor and participant
- Maintenance of Welcome to Canaan Village signs
- Maintenance of Library Bulletin Board (formerly Town Crier)*
- Friends of Canaan Village webpage
As of 9/25/2013, total membership was 79
Friends in Deeds