- Farmers' Market
- Activities Report
2015 "So You Think You Know Canaan Quiz"
Winners & Answers
- 1st place: Amy Thurber
- 2nd place: Melissa Allen
- 3rd place: Lori Gowing
- 4th place: Anita Garland
The 2015 Friends of Canaan Village Directory is now available at the Town Offices, the Library, Canaan Hardware, and Mascoma Savings Bank!
FOCV is happy to announce that Lori Gowing has been hired to manage the 2015 Market. Lori has been a Market Vendor for several years and was Manager of the 2014 EBT Program. The 2015 Market Season runs every Sunday, from May 24 through October 11, 10 am to 1 pm, on the Town Common.
Bench Restoration Project!
Friends of Canaan Village and the Canaan Farmers' Market have restored the benches on the Town Common, and added Friends of Canaan Village Plaques. They not only look much better, but are more comfortable and safer. Special thanks to Gary Wood, Reg Barney, and Aaron Allen for their good work. Come sit awhile.
In 2015 the Farmers' Market will run from May 24 to October 11 and is held on the Village Green on Sundays from 10-1
EBT/Debit Cards Accepted!
Shop the Farmers' Market; Reap the Benefits
Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, baked goods, locally produced crafts, and more are for sale every week at the Canaan Farmers' Market every Sunday through Columbus Day weekend.
Rain or shine, all season long, Canaan Farmers' Market members bring their bounty so you can enjoy fresh, local foods and crafts and get to know the community members who produce them. You'll taste – and feel – the difference.
Come by to see what's in season, plan your supper around the best of the market, connect with the producers you buy from, and reap the health, environmental, social, and economic benefits of eating and shopping locally.
Make the Market a Part of Your Every Weekend!
Want to be part of the fun in 2015? Make an application to join in!
Friends of Canaan Village, Inc.
"Friends in Deeds"
As its name implies, Friends of Canaan Village, Inc. is dedicated to supporting Canaan's Village center, also known as the Downtown.
MissionTo create a safe, vital, attractive, and welcoming village center through civic projects and activities and, thereby, to benefit the entire community.
MembershipMembership is open to all Canaan residents, and to non-residents as well, who support its mission.
Members are not required to attend meetings. Any level of involvement is very welcome, starting with simply paying dues ( whatever amount a member wishes to give). We are hoping to expand our membership. If you are interested in joining Friends, come to a meeting and learn more.
Ongoing Activities, Projects, and Support of Civic Enterprises
- Farmers' Market
- Canaan Business and Services Directory
- Old Home Days Participation
- Ice Cream Sales at the weekly summer concerts
- Financial Support for the Lions' Club Summer Bandstand "Concerts in the Park" and for the Playground
Downtown Safety and Beautification
- Downtown Revitalization Project maintenance
- Spring Plantings
- Maintenance of Depot Park
- Holiday Lights and Decorations
- David O. Cushman Winter Golf Tournament
- Cooperation with other town committees and groups
- Assist with Conservation Committee's Spring Roadside Clean-up
Mission: "to create a safe, vital, attractive, and welcoming village center through civic projects and activities and, thereby, to benefit the entire community."
2014 ANNUAL REPORT
Stewardship of Canaan Village Public Spaces
- Planting and tending of village flower buckets, beds, and trees
- Benches on the Common: Restoration of 3 benches (the 4th bench was restored in 2013). A solid brass plaque on each bench recognizes funding by Friends of Canaan Village and the Canaan Farmers' Market
- Involvement in the Park (Town Common) Plan*
- Depot Park, mowing and maintenance
- Indian River walk with Conservation Committee to gather information about clean-up and flood mitigation*
- Holiday Lights, Decorations, and Flags
- Creation of Sign Policy for downtown area (accepted by Selectboard)
Canaan Farmers' Market Sponsorship
- Implementation of EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) Program to increase access to fresh produce and other nutritious foods for S.N.A.P. participants
- Farmers' Market Raffle Basket to benefit EBT program
- New crop of silk-screened Farmers' Market T-Shirts
Welcome Packets for New Residents
David O. Cushman Winter Golf Tournament February 7, 2014* (2015 date: Feb. 8)
"So You Think You Know Canaan" Quiz, available late June till Old Home Days This year's winner: Stella Butterfield
Other Community Involvement and Sponsorships
- Concerts on the Common sponsor ($1000 Brundage Foundation Grant) and provider of ice cream sundaes on a donation basis*
- Contributor to Library/Rec. Dept. Trivia*
- Contributor to "Swimming through Spaghetti" Silent Auction*
- Christmas in Canaan, sponsor & participant (Santa's Workshop)*
- "Pass the Book" Winter Reading Series at the Library*
- Sponsor of Canaan Clean Cans Campaign*
- Old Home Days sponsor and participant*
Canaan Directory of Business, Services, & Information, new edition will be printed early 2015 (supported by a $500 grant from Mascoma Savings Bank)
Semi-annual Newsletters mailed to members & at canaannh.org (Friends' link)
*in collaboration with one or more civic groups
Membership as of 10/5/2014: 148
Joanna Carr, President